Search This Blog

Friday, July 16, 2010

The Friday Night Knitting Club

As LT promised, The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs was a "precious" read. The book jacket promised a "Steel Magnolia story set in Manhattan". Check! Walker & Daughter, a yarn shop set above a deli in Manhattan, is the setting for a group of women that I had no problem connecting with. Each character held some resemblance of a life well-lived. Each woman at a different stage in a typical, yet unique life. Something to remember, something to look forward to...but more importantly, something to consider as we live our life each day. Are we holding on to grudges that are impeding us from moving forward and living the life God provided us with? Are we reaching our potential? What is our path? What about regret? Will there come a time when I'll be the mentor? When do we stop being the daughter and become the friend? Does that happen?

An author that can manage to put these questions (and more) in a reader's mind while simultaneously entertaining, is a successful one. It doesn't take much to make me cry, and for the record, I usually avoid books that I know will have that emotional pull on me. However, after finishing the last page, recording a few quotes that I never want to forget and texting LT to thank her again for sharing this book with me, I logged on to our public library to look for the sequel, Knit Two.

I laughed, I cried, I neglected the family for an hour while I finished the last part of the book...
Happy Reading! (But don't read the end of this book without tissue!)
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment