Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Million Dollar Throw

I am pleased to report that this book, written by sports writer Mike Lupica, ended much better than I imagined it would! I thought I had it all figured out, when the author pleasantly surprised me. If you have a tween or teen boy who needs to read some fiction, this book is an easy read. Football, friendship, blossoming love (perhaps, but not too much) and financial hardships are topics for discussion. I don't choose sports fiction for recreational reading, but will definitely recommend this to my middle school boys.

As the title suggests, there's a million dollars at stake if Nate can just make the football throw! Without giving away too much, I'll say that there are plenty who could benefit from his success. His parents are enduring financial hardships due to our nation's economic problems, his best friend has a degenerative eye disease and is quickly losing her sight, Nate begins to fail as the superstar quarterback on the middle school football team, and beyond that, he has been chosen to participate in the Patriot's halftime show. Pressure? Sure. Lots of it. But it's a great lesson for tween boys who seem to be disconnected from reality... there are problems beyond our own. As adults, we know this, but tweens sometime forget.

Lupica does a great job reminding us all that one unselfish act can be worth a million.
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment