Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Accomplice

The cover drew me to Eireann Corrigan's young adult novel, Accomplice.  I mean, seriously, look at it!  This is an amazing cover!  Like all good readers, I then turned to the blurb to preview the story. 

"They've gotten good grades--but that's not good enough.  They've spent hours on community service--but that's not good enough. Finn and Chloe's advisor says that colleges have enough kids with good grades and perfect attendance...It was supposed to be a victimless crime.  Finn was supposed to be the good accomplice, and Chloe was supposed to be the hidden object of attention.  But when things intensify, situations become more and more extreme...and what once seemed victimless isn't so innocent anymore."  

Okay, I thought, I've got to order this book for our restricted collection.  The age of the students alone told me that.  Now that I've read it, the use of certain words require it to be one of our "red star" books.  We are gladly a county that discourages curse words in our everyday language, unlike other parts of our state/country.  

The overall story is one of learned consequences, friendship, trust and character.  I was a bit disappointed, however, in that I predicted a plot sequence that never emerged.  I hate it when I'm wrong!  LOL  I won't ruin it for you, but I expected more violence and danger than is included within Finn and Chloe's story.  Oh, the suspense is adequate to hold young adult attention, but they will expect more blood and gore than Corrigan provides.  What they don't realize is that the potential for violence lies in each and every person.  Sometimes we forget.

Even though this wouldn't be one of MY favorite reads this year, I'm sure it will be for one of my students.  And the final blurb comment holds true..."With Accomplice, Eireann Corrigan has achieved that rare feat--a compulsive page turner that will haunt you long after you put the book down."

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment