Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Coming Soon to the MNMS Library!

While browsing the Internet, waiting on my new anti-malware software to scan my computer, I discovered young adult novels soon to be released (and purchased by me for our library).  The new James Patterson novel for young adults is Middle School:  The Worst Years of My Life and it will be released in June.  I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival at our middle school library.  This will definitely be on my summer reading list!  Here's the synopsis as taken from the official James Patterson website.

"Rafe Khatchadorian has enough problems at home without throwing his first year of middle school into the mix. Luckily, he's got an ace plan for the best year ever, if only he can pull it off: With his best friend Leonardo the Silent awarding him points, Rafe tries to break every rule in his school's oppressive Code of Conduct. Chewing gum in class–5,000 points! Running in the hallway–10,000 points! Pulling the fire alarm–50,000 points! But when Rafe's game starts to catch up with him, he'll have to decide if winning is all that matters, or if he's finally ready to face the rules, bullies, and truths he's been avoiding.
Blockbuster author James Patterson delivers a genuinely hilarious—and surprisingly poignant—story of a wildly imaginative, one-of-kind kid that you won't soon forget."

Sounds like a great read for our middle school boys!  


I also happened upon a new series by Michael Grant, one of our students' favorite authors.  Grant writes the Gone Series (Gone, Hunger, Lies, and the next pre-ordered title is Plague) and unfortunately for him, his first book was released at about the same time as The Hunger Games.  It's taken me some pretty creative book-talking to get students to believe that this series rivals Suzanne Collins' series for intensity.  The new series is entitled The Magnificent 12 and you can watch a preview video at this link...   Michael Grant's website and here's a quote from the author about his newest book...

"Why did I write THE MAGNIFICENT 12? I want to make kids laugh. It's not very complicated. If I knew that some kid had read THE MAGNIFICENT 12 and laughed so hard they blew milk out of their nose? That would be the highest honor ever for me. I also want to get that sneaky late laugh, you know, where you're in class or at the doctor or at a funeral even, and you remember something from the books and you start laughing. Or even just grinning. That's what I want: I want kids grinning at inappropriate times. Inappropriate grins and the occasional milk snort, that's why I wrote THE MAGNIFICENT 12."

Here's the cover for Plague, book #4.  These covers draw my middle school students in!  They're awesome! Plague is scheduled for release in April.   
 
 Looking forward to a Spring and Summer full of great young adult books!
Happy Reading!
RC



 

No comments:

Post a Comment