Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Darkest Mercy

Finally!  The conclusion to the Wicked Lovely series is here...and finished!  I'm so thrilled with Melissa Marr's final book, Darkest Mercy.  I haven't truly enjoyed a book in this series since the second book, Ink Exchange, so since she wrapped up her series with a strong battle between good and evil, with just enough passion built in to keep any romance fan involved, I admit the series falls within my top 20 of all time reads.  The covers are absolutely beautiful!  Each cover includes a gorgeous model with either a flower, feather or butterfly.  Don't forget to check out the other book covers.  I've attached them to the end of this post.  If you haven't read the series, starting with Wicked Lovely, you should give it a try.*Warning:  I recommend this book for mature 7th and 8th graders only.  The first book includes a scene that I censored.  Other than that, the only other censored material is the "f" word, which is one of the words I do not tolerate in tween/ya lit.*  This series is kept in the restricted collection of the MNMS Library.

It's refreshing to read a young adult novel that feels unique.  Marr writes about the faery world in a way not many young adult authors would, for she turns a mystical realm into a realistic world that readers can connect with.  The synopsis for the series is based on the belief that there are three realms...the mortal world, the faery world (which we can't see, but that exists around us) and Faerie.  The main character inherited the Sight, which is the ability to see faeries.  She ignores this ability for as long as she can.  That is, until she meets the Summer King.  He is irresistible and soon she is turned into a faery.  She becomes the Summer Queen and the series takes off.  

Throughout the series, there are two main mortal characters, Aislynn and Seth, who are tough high-school teenagers who dress in black, have multiple piercings and remain innocently virginal despite the assumptions made by their friends and family.  They both struggle throughout the series with desire, guilt, rage and fear, but they emerge victorious.  I'm proud of Marr for keeping her characters real, without compromising their virtue.  Teenagers want to connect with characters that feel authentic.  I want them to read about characters who are living out a regular teenage life, surrounded by temptations and trouble, who are strong and independent and who are winners in the end.  (Not the Charlie Sheen kind of "winning".)  

Because Marr created these two characters to appear so authentic, the reader gets almost jealous when she introduces additional strong characters in books two, three and four.  Although I didn't care much for books three and four, I am pleased to say that book five is a substantial conclusion that answers all of the reader's questions.  I'm happy that she takes the time to remind her readers of the events in past books, with past characters.  Tweens need that!  James Patterson is the only other author that I can say adequately understands this need in young adult literature.  

Darkest Mercy gets two thumbs-up from me!
But I have to admit I'll miss the drama of the Summer and Winter Courts.  I just know I'll think about them when the daffodils start blooming in our yard!  

Aren't the covers amazing?!!
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment