Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Brand-New Emily

I finished another book from the Fall Book Frenzy List this weekend.  Had lots of time on my hands in-between ballgames (My son plays for a traveling basketball team.  State tournament this weekend.)  and I'm not much of a shopper unless I have a list.  I know why this book is flying off the shelves!  It's written by a middle school teacher and who knows best how middle school kids act if not for a middle school teacher!  We are constantly witness to behavior we don't understand.  Reading this book was like taking a trip back to my middle school days (and taking our modern technology with me!).  Kids haven't changed the way they treat each other since I was in middle school, but they do have more opportunities to treat each other badly.  You see, in my day, a victim could look forward to the end of the day because the bullying stopped.  Today's victims must endure a bully's torture 24/7, what with cell phones, texting, social networking, etc...  I feel so sorry for any child who must endure today's bullies.  

Brand-New Emily, written by Ginger Rue, is a young adult novel that allows the reader to experience one eighth-grade girl's rise up the social ladder.  She is the victim of the Daisies, a group of girls who have claimed power over all other students.  (Doesn't every school have a group of girls like this?!) She is harassed to the point of wanting to remake herself.  They have convinced her that she's worthless and ugly.  She finds a unique way, with the help of a "Justin Bieber-like" character to turn her world upside down.  However, there are always consequences when you try to be someone you aren't and Emily learns valuable lessons.

Middle school girls will love getting to know Emily.  They will love the new "Em" and enjoy her revenge.  I hope they learn to love Emily as much.  There's a great lesson within this story.  Actually there are several.  I would love to read this with my daughter when she's in middle school.  Believe me, this is one for every girl.  

Now on to post another blog entry!  I read 2 books this weekend!  Whew!
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment