Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

 The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson is a student favorite at MNMS.  Readers who enjoy realistic and science fiction will truly enjoy this story about the near future in which teens, much like our modern-day teens,  long for identity.  And, how far should we let technology take us?  Is too much knowledge a danger to society?  What happens when we figure out how to successfully clone humans?  Should we even consider it?  Those kinds of questions cause readers to think...that's one of the reasons why I like this book.  Also, I connected with the main character's desire to make her own decisions.  Haven't you ever wondered why you do some of the things you do and/or say some of the things you say???  I have.  Even so, Jenna's situation is a bit different.  You see, she survived an accident she wasn't supposed to and has to deal with memory loss and her family's strange behavior toward her.  Her grandmother's constant aggressive behavior toward her is also a sign that something is just not right.

The original cover above is my favorite.  The butterfly is symbolic and attracts my students immediately.  The paperback version (just below) doesn't "speak" to my female students as much as it does my male students.  Perhaps that was intentional.  If so, bravo!



Because this book is on our Fall Book Frenzy List, I thought it important to reread it and be prepared for possibly leading the round-table discussion.  I'm glad I did.  Through the second reading, I was able to put myself in Claire's (the mother's) situation and I'm not so sure I agree with my first impression of that character.  I believe I like her more now.  

I'm happy to report that one of my students conducted research on Pearson and discovered this book has turned into a series entitled The Fox Chronicles.  The next book, The Fox Inheritance, will be released August 30, 2011.  My students will be so excited!  (see cover to the right)

And I have to admit...I'm excited as well!

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment