Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Shelter

Currently, I'm reading Shelter by Harlan Coben.  Fascinating mystery.  I appreciate the character's development.  Love the intrigue.  The suspense.  Plan on using it with my students as an example of how an author creates mood using word choice, sentence length, punctuation and imagery.  It's the author's first book for young adults and pages 1-110 impress me already!  

I used this book for Winter Book Frenzy this year and the 6-7-8 graders who read it, loved it.  The adult who led the table is a murder mystery fan and I knew she'd be enthusiastic about it.  (Coben has a good reputation for his adult novels.)  And because of the effect this book had on the students, I introduced it as a possible title for the new Kentucky Bluegrass Award middle school ballot.  I'm not sure if it will make the final cut, but it is one we thought Kentucky's students would love.  

To read an excerpt for yourself, go to www.mickeybolitar.com

Happy Reading!
RC 


No comments:

Post a Comment