Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2013

Winter Book Frenzy 2013

Every year, I host a Fall Book Frenzy and because it's such a popular event and so worthwhile, my principal asked that I host another during the second semester, one in which I could invite our 6th graders who are too "fresh" in October to participate.  You see, because of the nature of the event, I can't include 6th graders in October.  We don't know them well enough as readers.  Would they even finish a book?  Would they be too intimidated by the 7th and 8th graders to share their thoughts?  Would they even show up?  I'm so glad I chose not to invite them until the second event...I witnessed so much maturity amongst the attending 6th graders that I KNOW wouldn't have been present earlier in the year.  I'm glad they had the chance to sit under our fantastic 6th grade reading teachers who teach them not only how to read a great book, but how to talk about one.  

  Luckily, for us, we've had a couple of mild winters and we had no problems getting everything organized and read for February 27th, the day of our Winter Book Frenzy.  So I can report that everything went well.  Enjoy these pictures of the event.  They didn't want to cooperate while creating this post, so it's taken me a few days to share. 
Some of our door prizes.  The fluffy pillows are the favorites!
Always...a selection of fiction for every reader.

One of our teachers leading a discussion table for Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nichols.




A glimpse at the room...and a close up of the Journey Back table.
King of the "Post-Its"  :)
One of our 7th graders.




I'm already thinking about Fall Book Frenzy 2013! 
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment