Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

Fourmile...a controversial new read?

I'm a fan of Watt Key, a young adult author who writes realistic fiction for boys.  And not just any boys...boys that tend to make interesting choices.  Boys that are a little rough around the edges.  Boys with issues.  And boy, do I have plenty of those who visit the library!  With that said, I was surprised to learn of controversy surrounding his new book, Fourmile.  Since putting Alabama Moon, his debut novel, on my shelves a couple of years ago, I didn't hesitate to provide my students access to Dirt Road Home, the companion novel.  I purchased this newest title, without one bit of hesitation.  However, I've been privy to discussions among my lms peers who have opinions that span the appropriateness spectrum.  One peer fights for it and wanted it added to the new middle grades KBA list.  Another threatened to remove his affiliation with the KBA panel if the book was considered!  So, that sent my radar into overdrive!  Uh-oh!  If he doesn't feel comfortable, what's wrong?  Okay, I admit I hadn't planned on previewing this book, for I knew I could sell it on the author's rep alone.  But now, it's my job to read it and provide my students and teachers with my professional opinion.  I have a responsibility to my community of readers to provide them with books that I feel represent them and/or challenge them.  I can't expose them to a book based on reviews alone.  I can't expose them to certain topics based on our culture's changing ideals alone.  I have to take my community's temp with each title and base my purchase upon their readiness.  It's a tricky thing...I'll be completely honest.  As a conservative Christian woman with school-age kids of her own, I'm hesitant to purchase certain titles.   I simply have to "see" certain readers within the books and "know" that I'm adding the book to the collection for "that" part of the population.  Not one book is good for all.  (Except the Holy Bible, of course).  :)  So with all that said, here's my personal review after reading the book:

At first, I notice the author has included rough language, but not the forbidden 2 that I avoid.  The main character, Foster, makes some bad choices in the beginning, but nothing too upsetting.  It's understandable based upon the situation.  And he apologizes.  So that's redeeming.  I absolutely despise Dax, the mother's boyfriend.  (Why are some women attracted to complete losers?!  Maybe that's another blog post... recurring maternal characters who choose their trash boyfriend over their children?!)  I'm immediately attracted to Gary, the mysterious stranger who walks onto the scene early... I know my boys will love that he's a soldier with tats!  

As I ventured deeper within the story, I found myself wondering what in the world could be coming within the plot to make my fellow lms restrict this book?  The answer didn't present itself until the end.  Spoiler alert!  Foster threatens Dax with a pistol.  He almost fires it.  He doesn't.  Gary intervenes just in time to rescue them all.  Gary really is a hero in this story.  He's Foster's hero.  But to many who have veterans in their family, they may be offended by the fact that Gary is also a military deserter and thus his reasons for secrecy and hitchhiking.  So, hmmm... 

Now I have a decision to make.  And it's a tough one.  Borderline dangerous having a character pick up his father's pistol and attempt to use it on an adult who is threatening his mother.  But if you had read the story, you'd know that Foster was trained to use a gun.  Both his father and Gary show him how to protect himself and his mother on the farm.   Foster is responsible around guns throughout the entire story...staying away from his father's pistol and Gary's.  He has access to two guns throughout the entire story and respects them enough to leave them alone.  Until he deems it necessary to protect his mother.  What would you do?  

I've decided to leave this book on the shelf.  I feel that the author addressed all concerns a reader may have.  However, I will make sure that my reading teachers understand the content.  

After all is said and done, this is a fantastic story.  Watt Key knows his audience.  My boys will love this book.  Especially my Gary Paulsen fans and those who are good ole country boys at heart.  Just like Foster.

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment