Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

Lincoln's Last Days

Although I don't enjoy reading nonfiction books about United States history, I am finding that Bill O'Reilly's writing style will appeal to many of my "historically studious" students.  Those history buffs will appreciate O'Reilly's voice as he counts down to President Lincoln's assassination.  The book details events beginning six weeks before John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln.  It's an interesting way to share familiar information.  However, I did learn something new... 

  1. Richmond, Virginia was destroyed not by the Union Army, but by it's own "sons"...the Confederacy.  They attempted to destroy supplies and arms to keep them out of the enemy's hands, but they lost control.  The city was devastated!  
  2. I also never knew that Lincoln never fought in battle.  I assumed he was a soldier.  Instead, he was a politician.  Pure and simple.  
  3. And I had no idea that Booth was in communications with Jefferson Davis, president of the confederacy.  I also learned that the president didn't die right away.  He was virtually brain dead and his body died slowly after.  (There's a detailed account by the attending physician.) 
  4.  Did you know the actress who performed on stage that night asked to hold the dying president's head in her lap so she would get her name in papers around the world?!  
  5. And I had no idea that after Mary Surratt was executed, her son fled to England, served in the Pope's infantry in the Vatican City and was even rumored to be in Egypt for a while.   Wow...

The book is filled with primary documents... worn, black and white photos, maps, illustrations depicting what a photographer could not.  And, I especially like the Afterword, glossary of military terms, and follow up on all the main historical figures.

Can't wait to booktalk this to my 8th graders!
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment