Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

One for the Murphys

Just finished Lynda Mullaly Hunt's debut novel, One for the Murphys, a realistic novel about a 12 year-old who finds herself thrown into foster care after her mother's piece-of-trash boyfriend nearly kills her and her mother.  Carley's voice is unique and unexpected.  It was touching to watch her evolve from a hard-nosed street kid to a young lady who finally understands what it means to be a part of a family.  My gut literally ached for this little girl who battles an internal struggle to love and to accept love.  

I know my students will love it.  At first, I thought only my girls would like it, but now I know that I can sell it to my boys because of the basketball content and Daniel's story line.  It's a blend of Call Me Hope by Larson and Runaway by Van Draanen, but it's also it's own story...a perspective unlike I've read before.  Usually, we assume kids like Carley are starved for affection and will appreciate anything we can do for them.  We forget that accepting the love is tough for them.  And, that there's guilt involved.  And sometimes life is simply...unfair. 

You have to read this if you work with tweens.  You have to read this is you're considering fostering or caring for someone else's child.  You have to read this if you have a teenager of your own who acts completely strange when you try to love them.  I applaud the author for her insight into the creature know as "tween".  Her experience as a teacher shines through.  And may I just say, thank God for nurturing foster parents.  I won't give the ending away, but I'll say that I cried big, fat tears.  

Happy (or enlightening) Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment