Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Addie on the Inside

Book #24 for me this year is James Howe's Addie on the Inside.  My 6th grade girls raved about this book last year and demanded I order the companion novel in which we meet Addie and her pals, The Misfits.  I was not surprised when one of the girls reviewed the book and stated it was KBA nominee worthy.  So when I met with the KBA panel members, I brought this book and review with me and with no surprise, other girls across the state had already taken notice and the panel members agreed...Addie would make the 2012 nominee list!  My students were so excited!  

This is a novel written in verse.  Therefore, it has no Lexile level.  However, it's easy to read and would be appreciated by 6th, 7th and 8th grade girls.  I expect the 8th grade girls to connect with the "inside" of Addie and the 6th graders to connect with those "outside" experiences she has.  7th graders?  Depends on the reader.  ;)

My favorite quote from the book:  "I pray for release from this purgatory of the middle school years when so many things that never mattered before and will never matter again...matter."  

There are several passages which I expect will draw some controversy, but I dare my students to read them anyway.  This is a "girl" book and I expect the girls will have varied opinions on Addie.  To say it bluntly, there are words like homo, gay and lezzie sprinkled throughout.  That's because Addie is an activist.  For all causes!  She is in an inter-racial relationship and has gay friends.  Because of the tone of the book I feel our students will be able to connect with Addie and not the "issue" of homosexuality.  Both sides of the issue are included.  Some may find that surprising since the author is openly gay.

Happy summer reading!
Another KBA nominee down!  Several more to go...
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment