Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different

Another KBA nominee I'm trying to get "under my belt" is book #25 for me this year...the biography by Karen Blumenthal.  Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different.  I was not excited to read this.  I was less excited that it made it to the KBA 2012 list.  I was more embarrassed that I didn't have a better young adult nonfiction selection to offer in it's place...Sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut and trust other people.  Trust their reader's intuition.  Or whatever you call it.  One KBA panel member was SO excited about this book and PROMISED us our students (boys especially) would "sell" it for us once one of them wrapped their hands around it.  I'm going to have to choose my first reader carefully...a boy other readers trust.  Because this book looks so daunting.  And so boring.  I would have placed an iPod, iPhone or iPad on the cover somewhere so kids could connect Jobs with his product.  Alas...that is why I'm not in publishing or graphic design.  ;-)

While reading, I took notes.  Three pages worth.  I wanted to see what I could learn about Jobs.  I wouldn't dare ruin the book by sharing everything with you, so I'll just say that I was not pleased with some of my findings.  They were from both his personal and professional life.  I certainly would have problems being near him (hint: he literally smelled really bad!) and I would be terrified to work with him (hint: he had a temper!).  


I'm convinced there are some boys who will enjoy this book.  I read it in a few hours.  It is a quick read.  Just over 260 pages of actual text.  But those boys who are into computers, video games, animation, gadgets...they will LOVE all the techno talk.  I'll admit that my eyes glazed over a few times trying to get through those passages.  Ugh!


I can't NOT acknowledge that Steve Jobs passed away and thus the reason for his biography. His battle with pancreatic cancer is included as is his last months, days, hours alive.  The author even includes his last words.  

His ideas did change the world.  He was a fearless leader.  He was creative.  That's what I hope my students glean from this book.  The motivation.  I just hope they don't pick up on his lack of social graces or personal hygiene.  




Keep up that summer reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment