Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Holding onto Hope (#32)

A dear coworker of mine loaned me this book along with some valuable advice.  Because that conversation was Heaven-sent and precious to me, I'll not reveal the details just yet.  Perhaps some day...but for now, I'll blog about the book and how it touched me.  

Holding onto Hope is Nancy Guthrie's experience after the loss of her second child, who was born with a genetic disorder that caused her to die at the wee age of 6 months.  Tragically, Guthrie became pregnant again and the cycle was repeated.  Hope, her second child, allowed Guthrie to experience suffering and healing, much as Job did.  As a matter of fact, she retells Job's story and parallels it with her own.  Gabriel, her third child, she feels carried a message of God's love and grace.  The description of how she and her husband dealt with the great loss of not one, but two infants is unimaginable and impossible for me to relate in words.  So I'll just say this...I can connect with Guthrie's life experience of having a tragedy-free life.  I always wondered, like her, when tragedy would strike my life because it happens to everyone.  When will it be my turn?  It's never what or when you expect and it's so hard to not become bitter or angry with God.  Reading this book has reminded me that it's okay to question God but to do so with the knowledge that He doesn't have to answer...and I probably wouldn't be able to grasp the explanation anyway.  Everything happens for a reason and it all works according to God's plan.  We should thank him for the good and the bad times.

Attempting to do just that...
Happy Summer Reading...
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment