Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Monster Calls

Just finished reading A Monster Calls and (sniff) I can't stop thinking about it...it's one of those good books that has no "end".  It's living in my head.  Constantly thinking about the story and the characters and the lasting impact it will have on me and my relationship with my own Connor.  

The main character, Conor, is having a difficult time adjusting to life.  His father left his mother six years ago and moved to America with his new wife where he's set up a new family and essentially, a new life.  He's chasing the American dream.  Meanwhile, Conor is the main caretaker of his mum (yes, it's a British tale), who is suffering with cancer.  I assume it's lung cancer.  His grandmother is a "hands-off" kinda lady who enjoys her tea and orderly life.  So he has no one to help him care for his mother.  And on top of that, he is the target for the #1 bully at school.  But it's his internal struggle that intrigues me the most. 
 

The monster visits him during the night and they form a fast bond.  To the right is the first visit illustrated.  I was amazed at the artwork.  The author used everything from breadboards to beetles to achieve the horrific effects.  They really do add to the story.
Patrick Ness is the author, but he makes it very clear that this was not his original idea.  Siobhan Dowd, shown to the left, had penned the idea and Ness was asked to complete her story...she died of cancer at the age of 47.  To me, that adds so much to the story.  I will definitely make sure my students read the author's note and bio before they check out the book. 

I cried real Mama and Daughter tears as this book came to a close.  I was the dying mom, I was the grieving grandmother, I was the reluctant to say goodbye child.  I was the friend.  I was the silent witness.

*This book is a KBA 2012 nominee.  The panel members who requested it were adamant and now I see why...It's perfect. 
Happy summer reading...
This is book #23 for me.
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment