Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Gung Ho! (#34)

Definitely not a beach read or a typical summer book for me, but I have had this book in my very tall stack of books loaned to me by fellow readers and friends...so it was time to bite the bullet and put aside the Jane Austen and Philippa Gregory I've been wanting to read.

This is a great read for anyone who works with the public.  If you have even 1 fellow employee, then this book will help you to make sure you value yourself, your work and the ultimate goal of your workplace.  

Using values and work ethic, the authors do a fantastic job of sharing one company manager's desire to do better.  And it helped that she'd been given an ultimatum...turn the company around or you're fired.  So with a bit of pressure, she took the advice of the only manager in the company whose department was meeting and exceeding their goals.  

Andy Longclaw shares with Peggy, the manager, the 3 essential requirements for making any company work.  The Spirit of the Squirrel, the Way of the Beaver and the Gift of the Goose.  Yes, he's Native American.  What I personally liked about the concept is that every employee understands how valuable their work is.  They understand what is needed in order to fulfill the company's goals and they are expected to succeed.

There are some tips/techniques I'll be using to push some professional development I have planned for teachers this year.  I want them to know that their work matters.

Happy Summer Reading!
Thanks to Lanie for loaning me the book!  Great read for me as I return to work!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment