Search This Blog

Friday, July 13, 2012

Legend

Book #26 for me!

As the 2011-2012 school year came to a close, one book became very popular among our 6th grade boys...Legend by Marie Lu. I had given the book to LT and as she shared with her students, I began to get multiple requests.  Even questions such as, "Where can I find this book during the summer?!"

I'm going to make a prediction and say that this will win the 2012 KBA middle school award.  I could be wrong, but I believe this is the answer to everyone's Hunger Games "hangover".  I know how difficult it is to follow a book series like The Hunger Games.  So this is what I'm suggesting now.    

I love the character development of Legend.   I honestly "care" about the characters and Lu is successful in creating characters that have a legacy.  You know their paths will intersect and you're excited about it!  Plus, she does a superb job of developing their back story.  She gives you just enough detail.  This author definitely knows how to feed a reader.  

The story is set in the dystopic future.  Another civil war has divided the country.  The "United States" is sort of a myth.  The main characters are from two separate economical ends of the spectrum.  But they do have much in common...I'll let you discover that for yourself.

This book is set to be a series and the film rights have been purchased.  If you liked The Hunger Games, you'll enjoy Legend.   


Happy summer reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment