Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Favorite Children's Series

After several friends posted their favorite children books, I realized I had forgotten to include the one series that taught me to love books.  As soon as I read Little House in the Big Woods,by Laura Ingalls Wilder,  I couldn't wait to read the next book.  And that's how it went with each consecutive book.  Of course, I was sad when the series ended.  (I'm still that way!)  I wanted to grow up to marry Manly even before I saw him on the television.  Laura was my heroine.  I realized, even at the young age of 8 or 9, that she lived a much tougher life than I did and that I was to be thankful.  I completely lost myself in their world.  Strangely enough, I don't prefer pioneer stories today...perhaps I've read the best and don't need the rest!?  LOL  
Yep, this is "Manly".  LOL


If memory serves, I owned the covers shown below.  They're long gone now, probably sold for a quarter each at a yard sale.  However, I have since purchased an even older set and have it preserved for my daughter to read.  For Connor, I have C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia.  I hope he'll like it as much as I did.   
You know what I'm going to say next...if you  haven't read Laura Ingalls Wilder, you should at least read Little House in the Big Woods.  And then recommend it to the nearest little girl you can find!  You'll be her hero!

Happy Reading!
RC 

No comments:

Post a Comment