Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Water for Elephants


Gather round, bloggers!  The show's about to begin!!!  Step right up!

Nah, seriously.  I just read a book about a traveling circus and I'm getting all ringmaster here...  I stayed up late last night to finish Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  Whew!  Loved it! 

Out of sheer curiosity and enthusiasm for the upcoming movie, I decided to take down the book that has been sitting in my peripheral vision for years.  I can't tell you how many times I've considered reading the book based on it's cover alone.  Having been donated to the adult reading collection of our middle school library by one of my coworkers, it's often been one I've recommended to other adults to read hoping they'd read it and save me the time.  I mean, c'mon...circus life?  Not interested.  Not my preferred century to study.  Not at all something I know much about.  However, haven't I been "preaching" to my students that it's time to step out of our comfy reading box and try something new?  It truly was a refreshing experience.  Here's what I think...

Narrated by ninety-three year old Jacob, a former ivy league student and veterinarian, the story of his life with a traveling circus unwinds and transports the reader to the 1930s.  America was broken, starving and sick.  The number of homeless people today can't compare to the young kids who found themselves sold or abandoned.  According to the author's research, most homeless were in their twenties.  Can you imagine?  There simply wasn't any work.  No work = no money.  No money = no food.  No food = well, you know.  Anyhow, I digress.  Forgive me.  Hidden among Jacob's flashbacks is a love story.  Beautifully told.  I have some misgivings about who has been cast to play Marlene, Jacob's love interest.  Reese Witherspoon is neither brunette nor graceful enough to play this character.  Marlene is not cute.  And to me, Reese is cute.  The only thing she may have in common with Marlene is her petite frame.  Up against the elephant and horses she performs with, Marlene seems light as a feather.  And what's with the bottle blond hairdo?  No way!  Jacob is perfectly cast...Robert Pattinson.  I like him in everything except the Twilight movies.  Because, if you've read Twilight, you have to admit he is NOT a good Edward!
This story is raw and I think that's what I liked best.  The characters act and react like "real" people do.  The moral angst just isn't there...we see that sometimes in our heroes and heroines who want to act but don't out of some supernatural willpower.  In Water for Elephants, you cheer for every character, especially the animals.  Some characters you'd like to throw off the train, but you'll have to read to find out which ones! 

I'm sure the local library has this book...you really should try it.  Handing it over to LT.  I think she'll like it.

Now to read a young adult novel...the 2010 Newbery Medal Award Winner.
Happy Reading!  (It's a snow day!!!)
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment