Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy New Year 2011

Well, it's finally here...2011.  What shall we read this year?  First, let's set some reading resolutions.  Yesterday, I guided two classes of seventh graders through the creation of reading resolutions with the purpose to help them become better readers.  I volunteered to be their accountability person and to check in with them in a few weeks to check their progress.  Of course, I shared with them my reading resolution and am actually fulfilling one part of my resolution as I'm updating this blog!  Here's my resolution:

This year I plan to slow down while I'm reading so that I can create more vivid images of characters, settings and plots.  And, once finished with a book, I plan to respond to the book using this very blog.  The posts won't necessarily be book reviews or your typical annotated bibliography, but they will allow me to get some of my feelings about the book down on "paper". 

So here goes...

Witch and Wizard 2:  The Gift by James Patterson
     If I were to rate this book, it would receive 2 of 5 stars.  I found myself to be absolutely bored and frustrated with Patterson's pace.  The first book was fantastic.  I fell in love with Wisty and Whit.  Their story took off immediately and their imprisonment was my favorite part of the book.  In the second book, it seems as if they are simply spinning in circles, encountering one battle after another.  I'm disappointed in The Gift, but will probably read the next book with hopes that the action returns and leads us to some resolution.

I encouarge you to make your own reading resolution for 2011.  Even if it's as simple as pledging to read a digital book instead of a printed book.  (That's something else I've done lately!  But that's another blog entry!)

Happy Reading and resolution-making!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment