Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Moon Over Manifest

The 2011 John Newbery Medal Award Winner is Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool and is definitely worth buying and reading!  I don't often agree with the Newbery Winners, but I'm on board with this one.  

1936 - Abilene, who rides the rails with her vagrant father, Gideon, is sent to live in Manifest, Kansas for the summer.  While there, she learns valuable lessons about the city, friendship, her father and especially about life in general.  Flashbacks to 1918 are perfectly placed and help the reader (and Abilene) connect with Jinx, one of the most endearing characters I've come across in a long while.  Along with the hilarious advertisements and news excerpts place throughout the book, the reader is entertained and educated about life during the Depression.  

Now, those of you who know me as a reader know that I'm a fantasy/sci-fi gal at heart when it comes to young adult lit.  However, I adore this book.  It's a book for EVERY kid.  I loved it.  Would definitely teach with it if I were in the classroom again.  Will encourage as many kids and adults at MNMS to read it.  

Go buy it.  Trust me.  Then read it before you hand it over to a kiddo.  This story is a "universal".  Once you read it, you'll understand what I mean.  
And for those of you lit lovers out there...I would stand this book up against To Kill a Mockingbird.  That's how much I like it.  And it's the author's debut novel!  Bravo!
 Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment