Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The White Queen

One of my favorite authors is Philippa Gregory.  You may recognize her earlier work, The Other Boleyn Girl, which was made into a movie!  I recently picked up her first book in The Cousins War series which chronicles the War of the Roses.  (Don't know what I'm talking about?  Google it.)  I learned quite a lot about England's civil war between the Lancasters and the Yorks by reading The White Queen.  Because the Tudors are my favorite historical family to read about, I especially loved learning about how Henry Tudor took the throne.  However, there were times when I wished Gregory had relied more on the fiction instead of the history.  There were several chapters that were quite...how should I say this?...dry.

If you don't love historical fiction and you don't think you can keep all the Henrys, Edwards and Richards straight, don't bother with this book!  It was a challenge for me and I love these kinds of books.


On to the next book in the series, The Red Queen.  I'll be reading this one digitally.  That's a stretch for me.  More on that later!  ;)

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment