Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Print versus digital reading

Okay, folks!  I've been giving this topic much thought and I've decided that the only "fair" thing to do would be to give digital reading a chance.  During many conversations I've spouted the "I'll never buy an eReader" comment and knew I would eventually eat my own words.  And so it has happened.  My husband surprised me with a Sony Reader for Christmas.  You should have seen their faces as my children and husband anxiously awaited my expression.  They knew without a shadow of a doubt that I would love it!  I forget who said, "Isn't this every reading lover's dream?"  Uh, no.  But I did put on that happy face that I've trained my kids to use when they receive a present they're not thrilled with.  I hope I was successful.  After all, they had my interests in mind, right?  They even purchased an electric throw I can use when I cuddle up with the hard, cold device called the "reading device of the future".  Because I love my family more than anything, and because I'm not scared of change, I embraced the eReader as best I could.

I tried to "open" the book, but the battery needed charging.  Okay, so I'd have to wait a little while before I examined the "book".  Seven hours later, the battery was only charged halfway.  I became concerned that perhaps my husband had purchased a lemon!  I used my Internet savvy and searched the Sony website for technical help.  It appeared that many others had the same problem.  Problem solved...don't let the computer hibernate while charging.  Once that little hurdle had been crossed, I was ready to read.

Not so fast, the eReader reminded me.  I needed to register the device before using it.  Okay, I can do that, I thought.  Credit card required, of course.  Then, I had to do something called "syncing" my device to the Sony eStore.  Gee Whiz!  I couldn't help but think of how many pages I could have read already in a printed book!

Before my frustration got the better of me, on Christmas Day no less, the device told me it was ready for receiving books.  Now I'm at the mercy of a reading device.  Nice.

I decided to look at the free books that were already loaded onto the device...believe it or not, I had already read all of the English versions.  So much for the freebies!  I searched and searched the eStore for a book I really wanted to read.  The selection was limited.  Finally, I found a book I'd been wanting to preview for the library and successfully downloaded it to my eReader.

Whew!  All that just to read one book. 

Have I found NO advantages to eReading?  I wouldn't say that...They are compact.  They have the large print available for readers like me who have worn out their eyes.  No bookmark necessary. (I always lose mine.)  You feel like you're reading faster because you're constantly clicking to turn the page.  Some eReaders have illuminated screens.  Mine does not.

Any other advantages have evaded me.  I'm still a print book lover.  Not only do I love the way a book feels in my hands, but I can share printed books.  I can't loan my ebooks to my friends!  And, what do I do with the old books on my eReader that I've read?  Is there a virtual store that purchases used ebooks?  And, I was angered when I reached for the ebook for my nightly reading and found the battery to be dead!  Ugh!

I'm sure there are many readers who love the newest technology and have advantages you'd like to share with me that I haven't recognized. I respect your enthusiasm. As long as you keep reading, that's really all that matters.

I'm off to flip a coin that will decide which book I read next...I'll let you know whether it's digital or "real". LOL
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment