Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Poisonwood Bible

It's going to take me a while to finish The Poisonwood Bible, an adult novel by Barbara Kingsolver.  (1998)

Not only is the book a lengthy one, it's addictive.  I'm currently all caught up in Book One:  Genesis and have arrived in the Congo with the four daughters (Rachel, Leah, Adah and Ruth Ann), the mother (Oleanna) and the father (Rev. Price).  It's 1959 and they've traveled as missionaries to bring the Word to the jungle.  Apparently, the last missionary strayed from the narrow path and left the village with no spiritual guide.  Reverend Price, who is not as holy as he seems I'm guessing, has arrived to save them all. Oleanna has introduced me to the story and has provided some foreshadowing that something bad will happen...perhaps because of some poor decisions she makes.  The girls each take turns telling the story from their point of view and it's a fantastic, refreshing read.  I love hearing Rachel, age 15, talk about how strange everyone's clothes look.  She'd much rather be back home in Bethlehem, Georgia and who can blame her?  Pulled from her home at the age when most girls are (were) just discovering boys, she seems a little bitter about her situation.  But she knows better than to sass her Daddy.    Leah and Adah (14) are twins, but that's were the similarity ends, I believe.  Leah just wants her father's love and attention and from what I've read so far, may be the most like him.  Adah, who can't talk, is the wisest so far.  I love reading her recollections because she has such sensitive insight about the events to which she observes but never comments.  Because of a birth defect, one side of her brain is underdeveloped and thus she practically drags the right side of her body through life with her.   Ruth Ann's voice is appropriately young and innocent since she's merely five years old.  But there is wisdom there beyond her years.

I've not read much, but I'm intrigued.  If you've read this book, provide me with feedback.  I'd love to know the one word or thought you came away with after reading.  I'm not sure where it's going, but I'm sure the conflict is going to hit me in the face.  This book is just too well-written for subtlety.

Oh, and this was one of the Oprah Book Club books, if you thought the title sounded familiar.

I'll let you know when I'm finished.  
Special thanks to LJ for passing this on through LT.  I do like it!
Happy Reading.
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment