Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

Robert Sabuda pop-up books


While staying home with Emma today (strep throat), I was reminded of one of my favorite author/illustrators.  Emma loves pop-up books and although I have my expensive pop-ups in my office, we have several cheaper ones at home.  We have to read at least one of those every time we sit down to read.  All pop-ups are art to me, but Robert Sabuda's books are pure magic. The illustrations move, pop way out of the book and are always artistic beyond belief.  The amount of engineering required is unfathomable.  I can understand why his books are a little pricey.  I own three and consider myself a collector.  Ha!  I want to purchase another really soon.  I'm thinking either the Narnia book or the Alice in Wonderland.  Both are unbelievable.  They're conversations starters, attention-getters and appropriate for all ages.  Some of my favorites are listed below.  You really should take a look; bookstores always have them and they're great as gifts.  Enjoy!

This is the first Sabuda book I purchased.  Connor loved dinosaurs and I had to hide this book for fear he would wear it out!  Two pictures of the interior pages are posted for you to see just how beautiful his work is...


This is the second Sabuda book I purchased in the hopes of using it to teach architecture to my 7th grade World Civilization students.  It worked well.  They couldn't keep their hands off of it either.  I posted an interior picture of this book to show the magnitude of the pop-ups.  The bridge is scaled to perfection, by the way.  But, the majority of illustrations in this book are plain to accentuate the major structures.  Really modern interpretation.  I like it!
 
This is Emma's favorite Sabuda book.  She reads it year-round.  At one of Connor's recent ballgames, we had all of the attention because the kids, parents and grandparents in the stands couldn't keep their eyes off of the book!  One of the grandparents even borrowed it to keep her little one quiet and still!  Love it! Below is Emma's favorite page, the last one.  A complete gingerbread house decorated inside and out!



If you would like to look at more Sabuda books, just go to his website.  www.robertsabuda.com 
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment