Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Temporarily Hating My Sony eReader

Yes, I temporarily hate my Sony eReader.  Yes, this is the same ereader mentioned in the previous post.  No, I've not lost my mind.  What Sony doesn't understand is that you shouldn't come between me and my book! 

I digress...perhaps I should explain.  I keep forgetting to plug the thing in!  So, eventually the battery ran completely down.  I'm not an electrical expert, but apparently that is not a good thing.  On Sunday afternoon, I realized it was time to charge that sucker, so I plugged it in.  Nothing.  I thought perhaps I had the wrong charger.  Nope.  I kept my temper under control and decided to peruse the Sony esupport website.  (BTW, I'm really starting to get annoyed by all the new "e" words in our language.)  According to the website, one should not allow the ereader to completely discharge.  Oh, thanks for telling me now.  One should instead be using Sony's AC adapter.  (Which doesn't come with the ereader, of course.)  The USB power adapter is not very powerful and I learned it could take as long as 8 hours to get a charge on a "dead" battery.  8 hours!  That's a long time to keep yourself occupied!  So, I went straight to Google and searched for the necessary equipment to keep my precious Sony electronic reading device going.  An AC adapter and car charger set me back about $30.00.  Now, supposedly, I can read while it charges!  Oh, didn't I mention that the ereader doesn't function while plugged into the computer? 

UGH!  It's getting really hard to step into the "future of reading".  I'm going to allow my ereader to drag me kicking and screaming, but at least I'm going.  I don't want to be one of those librarians who can't relate to their patrons.  I will always love my "real" books more.  I don't have to wait for my books, they are ALWAYS waiting for me. 

When I left for work this morning, the ereader had been plugged into the computer for at least 17 hours and we did not have a full battery yet.  Little Sony ereader doesn't know how close he came to meeting Mr. Trashcan. 

I told my husband all about my little adventure with the ereader this weekend.  He just smiled.  I know, I'm like a kid with a toy.  Better be careful taking it away from me.  I'm one tantrum away from a complete fit!  I promise, if I return home this evening and find that sucker still charging, I'm going to have an ereader for sale!!!  LOL hysterically

Until my next post, which should be in a few days.  I plan to finish reading The Red Queen, as soon as my ereader lets me, and then on to some young adult lit.

Happy "real book" Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment